This is compilation of my deeepest thoughts, my shallowest thoughts, my life, and my enlightenment.

She Cooks: Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza

I love my days off and I love cooking, so naturally I spend my days off trying out new recipes and testing out my culinary skills.
This is how it turned out...yum!
Since I've been wanting to attempt my dough making skills for the longest (this weekend, or next week, I wanna make pretzels), I decided to avoid a take-out favorite and make a pizza at home.

Bacon cheeseburgers happen to be a favorite of mine, so I decided to top my pizza with just that.

I got the crust recipe off of SparkRecipes.com here.
The topping was my own creation.

Bacon Cheeseburger Topping Recipe:
1/2 lb ground beef
3-4 oz American cheese
3 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 medium onion
2 slices bacon
2 cloves of garlic
olive oil
onion powder
garlic powder
italian seasoning
salt or salt substitute
cracked black pepper
parmesan cheese, grated for sprinkling on crust

I started by chopping a medium onion and 2 cloves of garlic into a small dice. Then I took 2 slices of bacon and cut them into small strips. I cooked the bacon until it was crispy and reserved it for topping the pizza later.

Then I cooked the onion in the bacon grease on medium low heat until it was translucent and carmelized. I seasoned it with salt substitue (I'm on a low sodium diet) and cracked black pepper (to taste). When the onion was almost done cooking, I added the garlic and half of my onion I just cooked to another pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil and sauteed the onion and garlic together in the pan.

To the onion and garlic mixture I added tomato sauce and stirred until it started to thicken. To the sauce I added onion powder, garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and ketchup. Once it simmered for a while and heated through, I set it aside.

The remaining onion was cooked with ground beef until all the meat was browned.  I seasoned the beef with salt and pepper, and a little italian seasoning. Once it was cooked through it was also set aside.

Once my crust was rolled out into a layer about a 1/4" thick,I rolled the edges to form the crust. I then layered my pizza with sauce, cheese, and meat, and sprinkled with the crumbled bacon from earlier and cooked at 400 degrees on a greased baking sheet for about 20 minutes, or until the bottom of the pizza and the crust are lightly browned.

It came out really good. The only thing was that I overworked the dough so it was just a bit tough, and the topping could of been a little sweeter (which can be remedied with a little more carmelized onion and a little more ketchup in the sauce, but try it like this and adjust it as necessary). Overall, it was satisfying and delicious, and I can't wait to make this again with another topping!

So in short, be careful not to overwork the dough (and be patient and let it rise!) and don't be trying to get rich off my recipe (lol).

If you try out the recipe, let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment