This is compilation of my deeepest thoughts, my shallowest thoughts, my life, and my enlightenment.

She Cooks: Peachy Cobbler


Btw, this was so delicious!

This is a custom version of this recipe from AllRecipes.com. I'd say the filling would completely be to taste.  Their recipe calls for 1/2 cup total of sugar and since my peaches were pretty sweet, I only used about 3 tbsp.  Taste your peaches before you start your recipe to determine how sweet you want to make them.  Between the crust and the cinnamon sugar topping...it will be sweet and delicious anyways!

Ingredients:
Filling:
  • 3-4 large peaches (my produce man had some insanely large delicious peaches but if yours are normal size, use 5 medium peaches)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp white sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp cornstarch (I'd say it's optional, but that's because I didn't have any, lol...it is nice to thicken up the peach juice though)


Crust: The proportion of peaches to crust wasn't high enough for me in the original recipe, so I used more topping...this recipe is for the amount I used.
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder (I used a little less so the crust wouldn't be too cake-like)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces (I used salted...cuz that's what I had.  Make sure to wait until the very last minute to remove your butter from the fridge...it might even be a good idea to cut it first and refridgerate it so that it's nice and cold for your crust)
  • 1/4 cup boiling water


Topping:  Mix together-
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Directions: I followed the same directions, but for your convenience...I pasted them right here with my notes in parantheses.
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl (I'm lazy...more like efficient, so I mixed this directly in the baking dish), combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined. (You would make this topping just like you make biscuits- mix in butter so it is coated by flour and creates little pebbles. Don't go crazy mixing the topping or you won't have a pretty cobbly top to your cobbler! lol)
  4. Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment