This is compilation of my deeepest thoughts, my shallowest thoughts, my life, and my enlightenment.

The Latest 'Do: Braid Out & Protein Treatments


I did my first protein treatment ever after work on Tuesday. I've been researching it for some time now and thought my constantly shedding hair would be an awesome candidate. Not all hair is perfect for protein. More course textures will actually have an adverse effect and will result in dry brittle hair.  My fine, curly strands love some assistance, and protein adds strength to my curly locks.

I found an awesome recipe here on Newly Natural's blog and thought it'd be wonderful to try.
My recipe was modified as follows:
1- 6 oz container of fat free peach yogurt (I would of used plain full fat yogurt, but this was all I had)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup of mayonnaise
2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp of coconut oil

After mixing this all up in a small bowl, I refrigerated it for a bit so it could thicken slightly, and then washed my hair.  On clean hair, I applied the soupy mixture over the sink (and made a mess
or until it dripped down my neck and back...lol), covered my hair with a plastic bag, and left it on for about 20 minutes .  The key point here is NO HEAT!!!! Heat could scramble the eggs in your protein treatment. I then rinsed my hair with cool water and applied a deep conditioner. This step is crucial because protein treatments are drying to the hair.


(BTW I got a hooded dryer for Christmas...Deep conditioning with heat is freakin' awesome! The effects are exponential when compared to my old method of deep conditioning overnight. My hair practically melted as it glided through my comb...awesome!)

Afterwards I must say I was quite impressed with the condition of my hair. It was soft, and the strands seemed to be a lot stronger. I had little to no shedding when I combed it, and the smoothing process was practically effortless.

I proceeded to do a braidout. Eight braids, no fuss (unlike my routine that night). In the morning I had soft and fluffy coils with great definition. That night (this was yesterday), I rebraided my hair in the 8 sections, not braiding too tight, but instead trying to follow the wave of the original braid-out. Its still braided as I type, but I will assume it will remain great. If I remember I will throw a pic up when I take it down Friday or Saturday (ahh tis life and I am lazy...lol).

Results
Front view (above), Side View (below):

No comments:

Post a Comment