This is compilation of my deeepest thoughts, my shallowest thoughts, my life, and my enlightenment.

One Great Show: In The Heights

The stage from my balcony seat
The storyline as told by the play's website:
"In the Heights tells the universal story of a vibrant community in Manhattan's Washington Heights – a place where the coffee from the corner bodega is light and sweet, the windows are always open, and the breeze carries the rhythm of three generations of music. It's a community on the brink of change, full of hopes, dreams and pressures, where the biggest struggles can be deciding which traditions you take with you, and which ones you leave behind."
 
This past Thursday night I was lucky enough for my friend Elsa to take me to see this amazing musical! It played at the Academy of Music which was an equally beautiful venue for this wonderful show.

Me and Elsa at the show
I honestly can't tell you the last time I've been to a musical before I saw Zumanity: The Sensual Side of Cirque de Soleil (which was amazing) in Vegas so this was definitely a treat!

The set was great with the buildings being partially transparent so you can see the people inside.  The stage was set up so you can easily be taken on a journey through each special shop that built this thriving Latin community in Washington Heights.

The music was stellar, with each voice reverberating off the walls of the venue and the hot rhythms shaking you down to your soul.

I have to admit, I almost got up and danced like 3 times...especially during the scences in the salsa club and the casts wonderful collaboration during the song "Carnival del Barrio".

If you love musicals...while holding the cheese...check out "In the Heights".

For a preview, see below...and trust me, this does the musical styling no justice because everyone's voice and the live band was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment