This is compilation of my deeepest thoughts, my shallowest thoughts, my life, and my enlightenment.

A Curly Girl's: Transition to Natural Hair

The beginning of my journey: relaxed hair...



Apparently I'm a touch narcissitic (more like self-conscious, on the other end of the spectrum), because I just realized I have 175 photos of myself in my Sprint Picture Mail account. Luckily, I've found that these photos document my transition from relaxed to natural hair. I've always had a complex when it came to my hair. Although I've always been told I had beautiful hair throughout the years, I've come to realize that my hair is so truly special now to me. I don't worry about the weather, sweating, HUMIDITY (not as much at least), going to the beach...who knew my hair could cause me this much stress?

I am in a new frame of mind and my hair makes me feel free. I know it was the perfect time to transition.

While transitioning I went through many phases. I receieved my last relaxer on August 1, 2008. I grew out my relaxer for 7 months and then had it pressed and cut off about 6 inches of hair in May 2009. The result was a cute chin length bob I wore straight for 2 days. From there I continued my transition.

My chin length bob right after I got it cut-cute, right? The day after...going to a dinner party...



Throughout this time period I did tons of beautiful roller sets (a style I leave for the winter months), wash and gos, braid outs, and a lot of textured updos.

Roller-set:


Wash & Go (post 6-in trim):



Braid-out:



On August 1, 2009, I did my version of the big chop and let go 2 more inches of hair (photo below).



I was liberated and able to do so many more styles with 100 % natural hair. I added twist-outs, curly fros, and fro-hawks to my hair arsenal and became unstoppable! Lol ok not really but I am quickly approaching my 2 year Nappiversary and at my last length check (in which I did my first blow-out in 6 months), I had hair that was healthy and 2-3 inches past my shoulders. I also did a bit of a trim (which I don't do often). I have tried tons of hairstyles and have found a new self-confidence I didn't know I had (tons of style photos below!).









Last but not least, one week after my light trim...wow, have these locs grown!





I've said it and will say it again: "I am...in love."

2 comments:

  1. I know this is over 2 years ago this post but your hair is gorgeous #hairenvy? I'm 8months post relaxer and debating on if to cut or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Well, from personal experience, after cutting off my straight ends, I had a lot more versatility since my curls weren't being weighted down by my straight ends. It's scary losing hair at first...but just think, in 6 months, your hair will be able to grow a few inches if you take care of it! I've been natural like 4 years now and I can't say I regret my transition. I am glad, however, that I chose to slowly transition into my natural hair because honestly my big head wasn't too keen for a big chop! Good luck girl! Feel free to peruse my other blogs for tips! :)

    ReplyDelete